Richard Plant takes us through the week’s latest e-commerce news, including new software on the block, Moltin; what e-commerce can learn from peak seasons; and Aldi’s breakthrough into online.
Moltin to Challenge Magento and Shopify
New software on the block, Moltin, has just raised $2 million (£1.4million) in seed capital to develop its new e-commerce product, a likely challenger for Magento and Shopify. With a reported 5,000 developers on board and counting, industry experts are expecting big things. Moltin founder, Adam Sturrock, said:
The e-commerce technology space is still plagued with huge problems despite the number of players – which is indicative of a market that hasn’t had it’s issues truly solved yet. We’ve solved that problem in a really simple way, and it means building for websites, apps, even virtual or augmented reality is simple, and practically identical, no matter which technology you choose.
What the E-Commerce Business Learned this Holiday Season
Tech news outlet, CIO, published its top 12 lessons that the e-commerce business learned this holiday season, including reading the consumer correctly to providing exceptional customer service. Find the summarised list below.
- Plan your holiday marketing efforts early (before November)
- Ensure your store is properly stocked.
- Make sure your site can handle the additional holiday traffic.
- Think mobile.
- Personalize your holiday email campaigns.
- Include Instagram in your marketing mix
- Remember that consumers are looking for deals
- Offer holiday promotions the week before Thanksgiving
- Don’t ignore Black Friday
- Let customers know about critical shipping dates – and make sure you can deliver
- Provide exceptional online customer service
- Make returning items easy – and free (if possible)
Aldi Breaks into E-Commerce as it Starts Selling Wine Online
German discount supermarket, Aldi, is investing £35 million into its new e-commerce site. Starting with the sale of wine – cycling wear, electrical items, clothing and camping equipment are all expected to be introduced later in the year.
More Online Retail News
See last month’s news roundup for more e-commerce news: Top Pointer For E-Commerce in 2016. Alternatively, download your free E-Commerce platform eBook for our top 10 checklist for e-commerce platforms.