New Research Shows Surge In Twitter And Other Social Media Usage

Facebook Twitter Google + LinkedIn

New research has shown out of all social networking sites, micro-blogging site Twitter has seen the biggest growth of monthly active users worldwide.

The study by GlobalWebIndex also highlighted a huge boom in Facebook usage: Despite the issue of 'Facebook fatigue', a sense of boredom when using the site, firms including GlobalWebIndex have previously suggested has impacted user numbers.

Social networking as a whole has seen a big boost, especially in developing countries, leading to a 44% increase in overall market penetration by Twitter. The micro-blogging platform has proved to be particularly popular in Indonesia, with a 44.2% increase in users since Q2 of 2012, and also in Saudi Arabia (41.66%) and Singapore (34.74%).

Interestingly, Twitter's fastest growing demographic was in the 55-64 age range, seeing a massive 79% increase in registered active users.

Facebook had a similarly impressive boost in overall numbers, seeing a growth of just over one-third (35%) of users. Much like Twitter, Facebook's biggest demographic increase was in the 45-54 age range, with an increase of 46% reported.

Google+ also saw a significant growth in users, helping it retain its second overall position in the social media charts with figures suggesting the platform now has more than 359 million active users a month. The 45-54 age demographic was Google+'s fastest growing age group, seeing an impressive 56% rise.

In overall penetration of active users, Facebook still stands head and shoulders above the competition, boasting a user base of 51% of all Internet users.

Below Facebook however, the competition is a lot tighter with two Google owned social networking sites, Google+ and YouTube battling out for second and third.

Google+ claimed second with 26% of Internet users, while YouTube claimed third with a 25% share of the Internet population. However, with an overall haul of 51% akin to Facebook's share of the market, it does suggest Google is a definite rival to Facebook in the world of social media.

Further down the pecking order stood LinkedIn with an eight per cent share of the Internet population and Pinterest with a four per cent share.

Aside from the increase in popularity among older demographics, the GlobalWebIndex study attributed the increased usage of social media on the increased use of mobile for Internet use. According to the research, the number of people accessing the Internet via a mobile device has surged 60.3% to 818.4 million in the areas studied.

The study also emphasised the importance of iOS and Android users on the social market, pointing out smartphone users with those operating systems were far more likely to use Facebook, Google+ and Twitter when compared to the average Internet user.

The study concluded, professionals who specialise in social media marketing will have to continue to adapt to mobile in order to push business forward in the future.

News brought to you by ClickThrough – experts in SEO, PPC marketing, and conversion rate optimisation services.

Subscribe to our blog and get the latest industry-updates direct to your inbox